Is Apple's Latest iOS Upadate Better?

Apple's latest iOS update, iOS 7, was just announced today at WWDC. This iOS software update brings a slew of features and and a complete redesign of the iOS interface. Nearly all of the blogs are praising Apple's iOS upgrade, calling it unique and mesmerizing. But is it really? Is iOS as great as it is mocked up to be?

Don't get me wrong, iOS 7 looks amazing. Far better than previous iOS versions. The problem is, is this iOS software update going to help keep the software moving forward, or is it going to slow it down?

The way I see it, Apple's latest iOS update is going to make its core audience confused. Apple's core audience aren't super technical like the people reading this blog are. No, their core audience consists of grandmas, grandpas, moms, dads. Their the core audience because it is a phone that they can use with ease. They can pick up an iPhone, as of right now, and use it and not get lost in the operating system.

I can't imagine my parents or grandparents being so 'at home' with iOS 7. The iOS upgrade brings an entire redesign. It's going to be new to them, they're going to have to relearn at least a little bit. And how are they going to do that on their own? It took my mom nearly a year to figure out she could set a contact ringtone. How is she going to figure out what to do when she accidentally opens up control center?

Now, I am not saying that this iOS software update is bad. It's not. I love it, and I think it is absolutely beautiful. But that isn't the point I am trying to make. Apple changed the look, and some of the feel of their user interface. And there is absolutely no way there is going to no back-lash on this huge design over hall. 

I see many frustrated iOS users this coming fall. The latest iOS update is going to cause some confusion with its core audience.
 

1 comments:

  1. Here's the thing, it looks pretty, but how well will it function. Ios 6 works well for now for now and everyone is used to it, but I do think that a refresh is needed.

    While someone who is tech-savvy like you and me can get used to it, I will be dreading the day when I am sent a message via carrier pigeon from my mother who can't work it out.

    I just hope that Apple avoid making the mistake of Windows 8.

    ReplyDelete